Friday, November 11, 2011

Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes

Thanksgiving is two weeks away!  If you are anything like my family than you or someone in your family is organizing Thanksgiving and who will bring what. Or maybe you just have to show up and get to brave Aunt Hilda's mystery stuffing.

I've been helping my mom organize and cook for Thanksgiving the last few years or so and then Chris and I prepared the entire meal since my parents thought it would be more fun to watch KU basketball in Vegas...whatev.  So I wanted to share a few of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes and tips.  The pictures shown below are from Thanksgiving last year.

The Main Event: The Turkey
In my opinion, the key to a juicy and delicious bird is to brine it overnight.  Make sure you have a cooler big enough for your bird and I would suggest giving it a good cleaning.  Normally, this time of year it is cold enough outside to let the cooler hang out and you can put some ice in the cooler for insurance too.

The next morning take the turkey out and let it set out for about an hour to come to temp.  I'm not a fan of putting stuffing/dressing in the bird. Instead I like to stuff the bird with aromatics: quartered onions, oranges, and limes, halved heads of garlic, and the trio of poultry herbs, thyme, rosemary, and sage.  Also be sure to salt and pepper the inside really well too.

For the outside of the bird brush with melted butter and season LIBERALLY with salt and pepper and any other favorite turkey/poultry seasoning.  Then set on the roaster rack in the roaster and cook uncovered, breast side up at 350 degrees.  Cook until a thermometer reads 165 degrees F when inserted into the thigh (be sure to steer clear of the bone).  Don't use the popper thing that is already in the bird.  All that means is that your turkey is dried out.  If you don't have a digital thermometer I would highly suggest you get one.  Also keep the door shut!!!  No peeking.  If the turkey is starting to brown a little too much, just put a piece of foil right on the breasts. 
When turkey is finished cooking take out of oven and lightly cover with foil while you finish up the rest of the sides. Let rest at least 30 minutes.  We normally have quite a few sides to finish in the oven so it is probably almost an hour until we carve the bird.



Sides
Stuffing - I made this country bread dressing with bacon and leeks for the first time last year and really liked it and will probably make it again this year.  It's got bacon in it so it's gotta be good!

Stuffing & Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet Potato Casserole - After I tried this dish at Ruth Chris Steakhouse I knew I had to try to re-create it and it has been a family favorite ever since.  Take 3-4 large sweet potatoes and bake in oven until soft and cooked through.  Let cool and then dig out the flesh and put in mixing bowl.  Add an egg or two, half-n-half or heavy cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and pepper (sorry, no measurements - I just throw the stuff in) and blend it all together.  Then take pecans and chop them up and throw them on top.  I normally do all this the night before and then the day of bake at 350 degrees F for 30-45 min.

Cranberry Sauce - Put that can of jelly nastiness away now!  Cranberry sauce is super easy to make and is actually good unlike that other stuff.  I've made a few different ones and this apple-orange cranberry sauce has been my favorite.  This is a good side to make the night before and I think the flavors meld and get better if you make a day ahead of time.

Mashed Potatoes - Boil peeled yukon potatoes, drain, mash, and add real butter, heavy cream or half-n-half, and lots o' salt and pepper.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Keep this dish simple.

Chris Making the Roux for the Gravy - He's the Gravy King

Vegetable - If you're my mom you think that putting out a bowl of corn and a bowl of peas passes as the "vegetables."  No offense mom.  I like green beans (the casserole doesn't count) or brussels sprouts and can use the same technique on both.  Par-boil your beans or sprouts and then drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.  In a separate pan fry up some chopped bacon and onion.  When browned add your green beans or brussels sprouts.  If you are cooking brussels sprouts, don't stir too much so that they get a good caramalization.  Then salt and pepper and plate up.

Trimming and Halving the Brussels Sprouts

Desserts
When it comes to desserts I am a traditionalist and love me some pumkin pie.  However, that is something I normally pawn off on someone else.  If you do want to mix it up a touch here is an awesome recipe for pumpking cheesecake.  But please do me one favor and throw the cool whip out.  Homemade whipped cream is sooo much better sooo easy.  Chill your mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer, pour the heavy cream in the bowl and beat until you get stiff peaks.  Then add sugar to desired sweetness and add a touch a vanilla if you would like.  That is all!

Other Tips
1) I personally like to do the bulk of my grocery shopping Tuesday night that way the veggies and herbs are still fresh.  I normally try to take all the recipes I use and make a master list of what I need and I also take the individual recipes along just in case.  Be sure to get extra butter, turkey/chicken stock and carrots and celery because you will use more than you think.
2) Do as much stuff the night before as possible.  I like to make desserts, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato casserole the night before and get everything you need in order.
3) This may sound nerdy but have a plan.  Know your order of operations.  The last hour when you are trying to squeeze everything on top of the stove or in the oven can get hectic.  Just be sure ahead of time you don't have too many dishes that have to be finished on the stove or oven so that you have room.
4) Most importantly, ENJOY the food you've prepared and ENJOY your family and friends.  It is indeed a day to be thankful, not stressed out.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving this year!



No comments:

Post a Comment