Sunday, October 23, 2011

Carnitas - Porky Yumminess

Carnitas are super yummy and super simple to make.  This dish is one of my family's favorite get together meals.  Pretty much just throw a pork shoulder in the slow cooker all day and then chop a few things and voila! 

The pork after it's been taken out of the crock pot.

First off, I lined the bottom of the crock pot with aromatics to add more flavor: a couple of quartered onions (red or white or both), a few smashed garlic cloves, a quartered orange, a couple halved limes, and a few halved jalapenos.  Then I took my pork shoulder (can be bone in or out) and seasoned the crap out of it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin and then I set the pork shoulder on top of the aromatics.  I did all of this the night before so I let it set in the fridge all night to get happy and then the next morning all I had to do was set it and forget it!  It was probably about 4 lbs so I set it on low but if it were larger I would probably set it on high.

When I got home from work I tested to see if it was done by sticking a fork in it and twisting. If the pork easily came apart then it is done.  I took the pork out and set it on a plate to rest (see above) before shredding.  After letting the pork cooled, I shredded it by using a couple of forks and discarded the fat.



  Then I cut up some cilantro, onion, and lime.

Here are the carnitas plated up on Chris' plate. That's right, no sour cream or cheese.  Neither are very traditional additions with this dish.  Though my dad refuses to eat any sort of Mexican without sour cream.  We add guac or avocado and salsa to the carnitas. You can eat the carnitas on tortillas (corn is traditionally used but I find them to be a pain in the butt), use lettuce as a wrap if you are cutting out grains, or just mound the pork and yumminess on a plate like I did for leftovers (see photo below). On a side note, I highly suggest taking two extra minutes to grill your tortillas, either on a gas stove or grill, and it will add a ton of flavor.

Chris overstuffed his tortilla like usual

 Not too shabby for leftovers at work

It probably took me 15-20 minutes the night before to prep everything and then another 15 minutes before dinner to shred the pork and chop everything.  If you know you are going to have a late night at work and won't have time to prepare a meal this is perfect and it's also great as leftovers!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, holy goodness! I will be trying this one later in the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious and I will be trying this recipe out as well! I am a lover of bacon too... so the fact that my dad is a pig farmer comes in handy! :)

    ReplyDelete