Sunday, December 4, 2011

Catching Up On Some Cooking - Chili, Cookies with Bacon, and Pot Roast

I finally had a Sunday with nothing going on!  I decided to take advantage of it and get some cooking done.  As I've mentioned I'm helping coach high school basketball so I don't have as much time to cook in the evenings and I have a few out of town games this week so I wanted to make a couple of dishes for the next few nights.

First, I made some chili which Chris and I had a bowl for lunch and will be great to re-heat as leftovers for dinner this week.  For it, I cooked two pounds of hamburger, one onion, two green bell peppers, and a couple cloves of garlic.  I then added two cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes, 8 oz tomato sauce and the seasonings: 2 T chili powder, 1 T smoked paprika, 1 T garlic powder, 1 T cumin, 1/2 T cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.  Let it all cook together and then add your beans.  I'm not a big fan of chili beans so I use a can of black beans and a can of some kind of white beans. I think it gives the dish more color and I think it tastes better, IMHO.

Next, I made chocolate chip cookies with candied bacon.  Are you really surprised I put bacon in cookies?  I was happy with how they turned out.  Next time though I might add a few more slices of bacon.  =)  These are made with almond flour instead of regular flour and maple syrup as the sweetener so they are gluten free.

 
Lastly, for dinner I made pot roast and mashed cauliflower.  Both recipes are from the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook.  Here is the recipe for the pot roast.  The mashed cauliflower is super simple and a great substitute for mashed potatoes.  Take one head of cauliflower and chunk up and put in your pot, add one cup of chicken stock and one mashed garlic clove and steam.  When cauliflower is tender and mashable drain the remainder of the chicken stock (if any) and add S&P, butter, and cream/milk.  I then use an immersion blender to whip it together.  Here is the finished product of the pot roast plated up.


Here is my plate with the veggies heaped on the mashed cauliflower.



So I now have dinners and lunches taken care of for the next few days.  Go me! 

2 comments:

  1. If you don't bring those bacon cookies to work tomorrow your PA will not be at total working efficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries...I was already planning on it! Chris and I don't need to eat the entire batch ourselves!!!

    ReplyDelete